Friday, January 31, 2014

Plot Twister

Salutations writers!

So.........I'M BACK! haha..yeah...sorry that I haven't written in a while.....I had exams. *yay...not* But, now I am here, ready and refreshed to write!

So...yeah......todays topic will be.......

PLOT TWISTER!!!!!!       



 Fun..right??? :):):)


So I decided to go with this blog post theme because of it's importance. (and the fact that I like the title name, plot twister) Without a thick, rich plot, your story will be dry. And readers normally seem to favor soft, moist, delicious bread, apposed to, maybe, stale nasty crunchy bread.


So what are some ways that you can escape a dry plot?


                                               You can make a plot board 


I recently tried this out, when I found that my plot was lacking a little spice. To make my plot board, I took a pice of cardboard, and covered it in white paper. Then, with a pen,  I drew lines going up and down on my cardboard. Then you should find that you have boxes on your new board. This is the fun part; you then get to fill in all of the boxes on your board with little stations of your plot. (I personally like to add pictures.....just if I see something that inspires me!)


                                             

  
(so...here is my board, partially finished! Sorry that it is so blurry I had to take it with my computer camera!) 

Run with the unexpected 

When you are writing your story, you can't just stick with the obvious. I'm not saying that your story wouldn't be good if you made a plot twister that you could kind of see coming, but you can try to make an unexpected one....here is an example of what I'm talking about!!!! 
In Harry Potter, (SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!! If you haven't read up to book 7..or really 6....then you can skip this next part! I'll tell you when you are in the clear though! :) 
Throughout the WHOLE Harry Potter series...I had my mind set on the fact that Snape was evil. And when he killed professor Dumbledore.......yeah....I was in a rage....haha! So this is where J. K. Rowling really starts to play out the plot twist....she had kinda started it in book one...because, like I said, you felt that Snape was evil...but this murder confirmed your fears.  The big plot twist is the fact that Snape was actually GOOD! Tada! PLOT TWISTER!  J. K. Rowling ran with the unexpected and really tripped us up! She built a level of normal for the reader...the fact that Snape was evil. Throughout all of the books, we travelled with Snape, and the fact that he was evil was kind of like solid ground when all kinds of crazy things were happening to Harry and Hogwarts (which in my opinion deserves the status of being called a character) So...to get back to the point.....This, in my opinion, is one of the best plot twist that I have read in a while!!! 
(Ok...you all can come out of he turtle shell! I'm finished!!!!!) 

I feel like I should just give a points about what NOT to do with plot twists.....   

Don't make your plot twist run away from your main plot. 

Your book, characters, place, story, and, of course, plot have all been carefully planned out...but sometimes you will find that they are lacking the lemonyyy plot twist! The one thing that I would like to quickly advise all of my fellow writers not to do is to make a plot twist that forces you to travel away from the plot. If I am writing a story about a boy named Stu Dent, and he lives on a beach in florida...and he has to survive, I'm not going to want to throw in the twist, "and then he found a hair dryer" if the goal of my story is to have him live on the beach, climb a tree and discover the new fruit a cocoabanana. (a cocoanut  mixed with a banana) Ya know??? :) 

Ok....So that is all that I have for you all today! So sorry that I hadn't written in a while! Enjoy writing and reading!  

salutations, 

Emily K. 

(p.s. I am sorry that all of the writing is in the middle of the page....I couldn't get it to line up at the edge...so again, sorry! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment